A chain of grocery supermarket, along with clothing store, drug store, shoe store and others, Fred Meyer Stores Inc was established in 1922 at Portland. Fred G. Meyer founded the company and their branches are located in Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Idaho. It was originally started as a cherry selling center at a corner of a highway in Brooklyn. Later on, the store was expanded for selling cereal and even cleaning items. In 1931, a large warehouse was built in Laurelhurst and during 1960s, they acquired a Seattle-based company, Marketime Drugs. The full-fledged store was inaugurated in 1968, at Seattle. By the year 1968, they were operational in four states of the United States.