Clarence Hughes and his son, Russell Hughes were the founders of the Hughes Supply. They founded the company in 1928. With their specialty in electrical and plumbing work, they grew in stature slowly but steadily through the phase of the great depression and the World War II. Afterward, it has been a strong growth story. In 1970, the company became public through public shares offered. While they initially focused on housing projects, they diversified their focus later on commercial projects too. While they went through an acquisition by the Home Depot's HD Supply Division, joining Hajoca Corporation in 2011 let them regain their original brand name.